Ready Brek is a popular breakfast cereal that is marketed as being healthy and nutritious. But is Ready Brek really healthy? This article will look at the nutritional content of Ready Brek, its ingredients, and whether it is suitable for a balanced diet.
We’ll also discuss how to make it healthier if you choose to include it in your morning routine. By the end of this article, you should have all the information you need to decide whether or not Ready Brek is right for you.
What is Ready Brek?
Ready Brek is a fortified breakfast cereal made from crushed rolled oats and wholegrain oat flour. It is usually served with warm milk. Ready Brek is high in fiber, low in fat, and is a source of protein. It is fortified with added vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D, calcium and iron.
Ready Brek Original is a nutritious, wholesome breakfast choice for those on-the-go. One bowl of Ready Brek Original (30g, without milk) contains 112 calories and no added sugar or salt.
It also provides 2.6g of fat, 17g of carbohydrates and 3.6 g of protein as well as vitamins such as B Vitamins, Vitamin D, Calcium and Iron – the perfect combination to start your day off right!
Ready Brek packs a powerful punch when it comes to calcium, offering 402mg of this vital mineral in each serving – that’s 57% of the recommended daily intake for adults in the 19-64 bracket.
On top of that, Ready Brek contains 3.6mg of iron per serving – that’s 41% of the recommended daily intake for men and 21% for women aged 19-50 years old.
When selecting a nutritious breakfast, it’s essential to bear in mind that although Ready Brek Original does not have any extra sugar, its chocolate flavour does. Make sure you check the added sugar content before deciding which option is best for you.
Ready Brek is low in calories compared to many other breakfast cereals, so it is a great option if you’re trying to lose weight. However, it is important to bear in mind that adding milk or other toppings such as nuts and fruits will increase the calories. So if you stick to a recommended 30g portion and add 150 ml of full-fat milk to it, you’ll be consuming approximately 205 calories.
However, when it comes to cereals we rarely stick to the recommended portion sizes and normally eat more (double the portion usually). So if you have a larger portion size then the calories will increase significantly and a more realistic calorie count is more likely to be over 400 calories per bowl.
To reduce calorie intake, stick to lower portion sizes and opt for semi-skimmed or skimmed milk.
Vitamins and Minerals
As previously mentioned, Ready Brek is fortified with added vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D, calcium and iron.
Vitamin D helps to maintain healthy bones, teeth and muscles while calcium is important for the development of healthy bones and teeth.
Iron is essential for healthy red blood cells which is vital in transporting oxygen around the body and preventing tiredness and fatigue.
Health Benefits of Ready Brek
Here are some key benefits of adding Ready Brek to your diet:
- High in fibre: Ready Brek is high in fibre, which is essential for good digestive health. Fibre helps your body break down food properly, ensuring that all the nutrients are absorbed into your system. Fibre also helps keep your bowels regular and prevents constipation. In addition to this, high-fibre foods like Ready Brek can help reduce cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure and even prevent certain types of cancer.
- Energy Booster: Eating Ready Brek will give you an energy boost first thing in the morning. The oats provide long-lasting energy throughout the day, which means you won’t be reaching for unhealthy snacks midmorning or mid-afternoon because you’ll have sustained energy from eating a bowl of Ready Brek earlier that day.
- Heart Health: According to research conducted by the British Heart Foundation, eating oat-based cereals like Ready Brek on a regular basis can help reduce both LDL (bad) cholesterol and total cholesterol levels, reducing your risk of heart disease in the process. Oats contain beta-glucan, which helps absorb cholesterol from the small intestine into the bloodstream; this lowers your overall cholesterol levels and reduces your risk of heart disease.
- Helps maintain healthy bones: Ready Brek is fortified with calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. It is especially important for children to get enough calcium during the early stages of development to ensure their bones remain strong and healthy. Vitamin D is also added to Ready Brek and is essential for the absorption of calcium, further aiding bone health.
Potential Risks of Eating Ready Brek
Ready Brek is generally safe to eat, but there are a few potential risks you should be aware of.
Allergies: Firstly, Ready Brek is not suitable for people with an allergy to wheat or oats. Oats are the main ingredient in Ready Brek while wheat could be found in traces in this cereal.
Added sugar: As previously mentioned, the chocolate-flavoured Ready Brek contains added sugar, so you should check the nutrition labels before selecting your preferred option.
Excess Consumption: Finally, if you overconsume Ready Brek and other breakfast cereals, it is likely that your calorie intake will increase significantly, leading to potential weight gain and other health issues. So it is important to consume Ready Brek in moderation.
How to Include Ready Brek as Part of a Healthy Diet
If you’re looking to add Ready Brek to your diet, it is important to ensure that you are still eating a balanced and healthy diet. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your Ready Brek:
- Choose the original Ready Brek over the chocolate-flavoured option.
- Serve with semi-skimmed or skimmed milk to reduce the calorie content.
- Enjoy Ready Brek as part of a balanced breakfast, including fruits and vegetables for vitamins and minerals.
- Portion sizes matter – make sure your bowl is only 2/3 full to avoid overconsumption.
- Explore alternative ways to enjoy Ready Brek, such as adding nuts and seeds for extra texture.
Is Ready Brek a healthy breakfast?
Yes, Ready Brek is a healthy and nutritious breakfast choice as it is fortified with added vitamins and minerals, is a source of fibre and is low in calories. However, it is important to consume Ready Brek in moderation as consuming excessive amounts can lead to weight gain and other health issues.
Is chocolate Ready Brek good for you?
Chocolate Ready Brek is a nutritious breakfast choice, but as it has added sugar and chocolate, it’s higher in calories than the Original version. However, it still contains vitamins and minerals, and is a source of fibre so it does offer some health benefits. If you are concerned about your sugar consumption though, it is best to stick with the Original Ready Brek.
If you do choose to have chocolate Ready Brek, make sure to consume it in moderation and serve with semi-skimmed or skimmed milk.
Is Ready Brek good for weight loss?
Ready Brek may be a viable weight loss option, depending on the consumer’s daily diet. Ready Brek is high in fibre and other important nutrients, so it could be part of a weight-loss routine when combined with other healthy foods.
Additionally, Ready Brek can help keep you full for a longer period of time and as part of a balanced weight loss plan, this could help prevent overeating or “snacking” throughout the day.
As always, weight loss should be done safely and with guidance from professionals. Ready Brek can certainly be one piece of the puzzle, but the focus should remain on creating and maintaining healthy eating habits in order to achieve successful weight loss results.
Can babies have Ready Brek?
Ready Brek is suitable for babies over 6 months old. It is important, however, to ensure that any lumps are removed before serving and that the Ready Brek is not too hot before giving it to your baby. You may have to blend Ready Brek if your baby doesn’t like the texture to start with.
Final Thoughts on Is Ready Brek Healthy or Not
Ready Brek is a healthy and nutritious breakfast cereal as it is fortified with added vitamins and minerals, is low in calories and high in fibre. Just be aware of the sugar content of chocolate-flavoured Ready Brek and make sure to consume it in moderation.
As with all things, a balanced diet is key and Ready Brek is a great way to get some essential vitamins and minerals in your breakfast routine. With its long-lasting energy, fibre content and heart-healthy benefits, Ready Brek is sure to keep you going throughout the day.
So is Ready Brek healthy? Yes, it is! But as with all foods, it is important to ensure that it is eaten in moderation and part of a balanced diet. Enjoy!