I love having toast on weekend mornings for brunch – it makes a really nice change from my regular breakfast, which tends to be sweet like a smoothie or porridge. There’s something about having a savoury breakfast that makes me feel like it’s my day off to relax and unwind!
This spicy chickpea avocado toast is one of my go-tos for lunch when I want something quick and easy that’s also satisfying and healthy. It’s also perfect for those days when dinner time arrives and you haven’t had a chance to plan anything and want to whip something up in 2o minutes!
It’s a balanced meal with carbs, protein and healthy fats that’s really easy put together. I would usually serve with a dark green leafy salad to make sure I get my greens in.
What you’ll need to make this spicy chickpea avocado toast:
- Canned chickpeas – I know some people may look down on canned beans, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with them! They make like so much easier. You don’t need to soak them overnight and cook them for 2 hours the next day before you can even start the cooking process! Other beans will also work here.
- Spices – you can stick to the recipe, or you whatever you fancy! Play around with the flavours and find what you like. You can add as much or as little chilli as you like. If you’re not into hot food, feel free to leave it out completely.
- Garlic – it’s a must in most of my savoury recipes. In most cases, I don’t feel a meal is complete without it!
- Avocado – this adds so much creaminess and complements the chickpeas and crunchy bread so well for a lovely balance of textures. It’s also a great source of healthy fats. I like to season it with salt, pepper and lots of lemon juice!
- Sourdough – I love the crunch and sourness of it. You can use any bread you like or have available. Glute-free bread will also work 🙂
Spicy Chickpea Avocado Toast
Spicy Chickpea Avocado Toast – a simple meal idea perfect for lunch, a light dinner or even a snack! Super easy and packed with flavour and plant goodness.
For the spicy chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1x (400g) canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the smashed avocado
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Chilli flakes
- 2 large slices of toasted sourdough or bread of choice
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
Add the garlic and chickpeas and cook for a couple of minutes, then mix in the spices, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
In the meantime mash the avocado in a small dish and mix in the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. You have the option of adding chilli flakes if you would like an extra kick!
Spread the avocado mixture over the toasted bread, then top with the chickpeas.
Garnish with fresh coriander and enjoy!
Calories: 476kcalCarbohydrates: 52gProtein: 14gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 16gSodium: 652mgPotassium: 767mgFiber: 14gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 821IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 92mgIron: 5mg